2018 Tainan English-Friendly Store EASY GO Video Competition
To enable foreign visitors to enjoy considerate services in an English-friendly environment when visiting Tainan, the Office of English as the Second Official Language of Tainan City Government, in recent years, has actively assisted stores to produce bilingual menus and set up online maps as guidance. This year, the Tainan City Government has organized the 2018 Tainan English-Friendly Store EASY GO Video Competition to increase the visibility of these English-friendly stores. The videos will be uploaded online so that foreign visitors can gain a better understanding of the stores/restaurants. This activity also promotes the outcomes of Tainan as an English-friendly city and attracts more foreign visitors to come to visit Tainan.
Adviser: Office of English as the Second Official Language, Tainan City Government
Organizer: Southern Taiwan University of Science and Technology
Co-organizer: Chang Jung Christian University/Tainan University of Technology/Kun Shan University
Sponsor: Flomo Education Foundation
- Participants: Contestants of all nationalities and ages are allowed to participate in the competition.
- Participants can register as an individual or as a team with each a maximum of five members per team. Each person can submit up to three videos.
- Submissions should be unpublished, never have been used in other competitions, never have received any awards, and never have been authorized to a third party for use.
- Each team can have up to two, if any, instructors.
IV. Important Dates
- Online Submission: As of today-17:00 Tue., Oct. 30, 2018.
- Primary Review: Wed., Oct. 31, 2018-Mon., Nov. 5, 2018.
- Final Review: Mon., Nov. 5, 2018-Mon., Nov. 12, 2018.
- Shortlist Announcement: By 17:00 Tue., Nov. 13, 2018 (announcements will be made on the official website of the Office of English as the Second Official Language, Tainan City Government).
Award Ceremony: Sat., Nov. 17, 2018; all nominees are required to attend.
Each award will be rewarded with a prize and a certificate.
- Gold Medal Award: NT $10,000 and a certificate; two in total.
- Silver Medal Award: NT $ 8,000 and a certificate; two in total.
- Bronze Medal Award: NT $ 5,000 and a certificate; three in total.
- Work of Excellence: NT $ 2,000 and a certificate; three in total.
VI. Selection Method
- Subject Interpretation (20%) → Achieve the effect of promoting English-friendly stores.
- Video Techniques (20%) → Filming techniques, editing skills, camera language, sound effects and post-editing.
- Creative Expression (20%) → Connectivity of subject and creativity.
- Communication Skills (40%) → Video communication and English communication skills.
VII. Submission Theme
Participants should pick and introduce a store from the list of English-friendly stores on the website of the Office of English as the Second Official Language, Tainan City Government. There is no limitation on the style of presentation; however, there should be English subtitles for the introduction content, and English dialogues or narratives are preferred with bilingual menus shown. Videos should also contain the connection between the products of the store and English. If the same store is introduced in more than one video, only one team will be chosen as the awarded work. All submissions are eligible to be uploaded to the page of English-friendly stores of the organizer’s website to promote and advertise the stores.
List of English-friendly stores: http://oeasol.tainan.gov.tw/ef-store/index.php?inter=ef&smid=1
VIII. Application Details
- During the online submission period, fill out the Application Form (Appendix I), Copyright License Agreement (Appendix II), scan and upload the files along with your work to the Cloud and name the folder “Store Name_Video Name” (Set the sharing mode of the folder to “anyone with the link can view”). Then, go to the Activity Sheet and fill out relevant information.
- Activity Sheet: https://goo.gl/cWK8h6
IX. Submission Details
- Video Creation Form: No limitation (can be performed by people, can be animated, or presented by photo collage, but remember to show identifiable features or information of the stores).
- Content presented should not contain indecent words and false insinuation; otherwise they will not be rated.
3. Video Submission Format:
- High-quality AVI, MOV files (for video files with no subtitles, the word “advertisement,” and the event slogan).
- WMV file or MP4 file (for video files containing subtitles, the words “Tainan City Government Advertisement” at the bottom right of the video, and “slogan” provided by the organizer at the end of the video. This version is for the judges).
- The file size for both versions should be within 500MB.
- Both files should be uploaded to the Cloud, and sharing settings should be set to “anyone with the link can view.” Share the link on the application form for the organizer to download.
- Videos with subtitles should also be uploaded to YouTube and the privacy settings should be set as “public”. The name of the video should be: 2018 Tainan English-Friendly Store EASY GO Video Competition-“Store Name”-“Video Name”.
- Video Resolution: 1920*1080dpi (1080p HD picture quality) or above
- Video Length: Within 1-3 minutes. Videos that do not comply with this limit will be disqualified and will not be rated.
- Please mark in the video:
- At the bottom right of the video, add the word “advertisement” as shown in Figure 1.
- At the end of the video, add the event slogan for three seconds as shown in Figure 2.
- Select background music: background music can be chosen from the following channels, with relevant license agreements and certificates provided.
- Licensed music chosen from “Creative Commons (creativecommons.org.tw).” Download the music for use according to the methods of authorization and marking.
- Other legally licensed music.
X. Authorization Specifications and Notices
- The work must be created by the participants. There should be no act of borrowing, plagiarism, or counterfeiting. Violators will be made public and awards will be canceled with prizes revoked. Vacancies will not be filled. Persons featured in the video should agree to be filmed by the party to avoid infringement of personality rights.
- The recipient of the award agrees to license the copyright of the awarded work to the organizer (Office of English as the Second Official Language, Tainan City Government). The organizer holds the rights to alter, edit and reproduce, or to apply to other use. Recipients of the award shall not claim the moral rights of the work to the organizer.
- If the music is re-edited after production by others, the recipient of the award should obtain the license from the copyright owner before receiving the award; otherwise, the recipient will be disqualified. If such circumstances are reported by a third party after the announcement of awards, the award will be canceled and the prize will be revoked. Vacancies will not be filled.
- Works that do not meet the required specifications or violate good morals will not be included in the competition. Reasons for non-inclusion will not be further notified.
- Participants should read closely relevant regulations and details of the competition. In the event of ineligibility, untruthful works, copyright violations, or other regulation violations, the participant should take full legal responsibility. The organizer may cancel his/her qualifications of participation, nomination, and award; remove the work from the platform; and recover the prize and certificate given. Participants shall have no objections and vacancies will not be filled. Participants should take full legal responsibility if such infringements incur legal responsibilities or cause subsequent damage to the rights of a third party.
- If the level of participants’ works does not meet the awarded standards, awards may remain vacant.
- If awarded, participants shall agree to have the organizer to re-edit the video into a 30-second promotional clip (the original owner’s name will still be indicated) for advertisement and promotion.
- According to regulations of the Income Tax Act, 10% of the total shall be deducted by the executive agency as tax for prizes over NT $20,000 (20,000 included) (for non-residents, 20% of the total will be deducted regardless of the amount of the prize). Income withholding (exemption from withholding) certificates will be provided by the organizer. Other pre-deduction conditions shall be conducted according to relevant regulations.
- The organizer reserves the right to adjust the content of the activity. Any changes relevant to the activity will be announced on the official website of the Office of English as the Second Official Language of Tainan City Government.
Contact Person: Mr. Lai 06-2222149
Appendix I: Application Form
Application No. (to be completed by the organizer)