Luerhmen Tianhou Temple
The history of the Luerhmen Tianhou Temple歷史沿革
The goddess Mazu, to whom Luerhmen Tianhou Temple is dedicated, is credited with aiding the Ming loyalist admiral Zheng Cheng-kung (also known as Koxinga) to drive the Dutch from Taiwan in 1661. To show his gratitude to Matsu, Koxinga constructed a temple to her at Baisanwei, which turned out to be the center for religion and civic culture.
In 1871, there was a flood, washing away the temple, but fortunately, the golden statue of Mazu was saved by several villagers. The deity was worshipped in their homes until the temple could be rebuilt. Following Taiwan Retrocession in 1946, the Tianhou Temple was rebuilt again, this time with donations from villagers. Work was completed at the beginning of 1947 when the worship of the golden image of Mazu resumed in the temple.
In 1993, the Cultural and Educational Foundation for the Tianhou Temple at Luerhmen was established to publish works about local culture. A literature room was set up to collect relics and preserve them, and for research to be carried out. Its sole purpose is to help spread the Mazu faith to inspire people to follow the goddess’s fine example, so that peace and happiness is ensured among the mortals.
Luerhman Tianhou Temple is noted for its wide array of religious activities and festivals held every year. If you are a history buff, and one who enjoys architectural studies, this temple is the perfect destination for you!
The story of Mazu 媽祖的故事
The goddess Mazu was a historical person named Lin Mo Niang (960–987 A.D.). She was born in Meijhou in Fujian Province. In her short but remarkable life, she had become proficient in all the Confucian, Taoist and Buddhist classical literature, was adept at astronomy and an expert in medicine. She was loved and revered for her many good deeds, curing countless people, driving away evil spirits, and saving people from drought. After her death, she often appeared at sea to rescue sailors from wrecks, and would protect ambassadors traveling overseas.
No.136, Mazugong 1st St., Annan Dist., Tainan City 709, Taiwan (R.O.C.)